[cvsnt] Betr.: Re: March-Hare message into my commit messages

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Nov 10 13:01:36 GMT 2008

Jan Keirse wrote:
>  cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org schreef op 10/11/2008 11:51:32:
>
>> Frankly, if you can't sustain the open source model anymore I'd suggest
> you
>> to go proprietary starting with evs. You won't improve sales annoying
> users.
>
> If EVS uses CVSNT code that wasn't originally written by mach-hare they
> can't close the source. CVSNT is under GPL, anything that's derived from

It's a little more complex than that.  The CVSNT part of EVS is a client
of the EVS API (as is the SVN part and the TFS part).  The API is a
separate component (you can install the API without the CVSNT parts,
although I don't think most people would bother).. so CVSNT remains GPL,
the EVS API is LGPL to allow different licenses as required (and so that
others can implement libraries on top of the API if they want to without
worrying about licensing issues).

In general new code gets put under LGPL except our own extensions which
are under a commercial license.