[cvsnt] March-Hare message into my commit messages

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Wed Nov 12 16:16:45 GMT 2008

> Taking the analogy a step further: Luigi (and others) appear to be
> suggesting

Not at all. You choose the Open Source model, not us. I just said that IMHO
the value of the actual CVSNT suite is not appealing enough to users.
Believe me, I wish I could buy a package with a good SMC from top to bottom.
But I need solid reasons to convince my manager, and right now I have not.
Budget constraint does not allow us to buy whatever we like just to "support
good development".

Again, I am telling you how some customers perceive your package. If you
prefer to think your package is the most competitive, or that users should
be forced somehow to buy a CVS suite, of course it's up to you.
Unfortunately, I don't see any real value in buying CVSNT at your current
prices, and at 4000 euro per ten users your competitors are no longer CVS,
SVN or CuteFTP, but are much more capable SCM tools. I am sorry you seem not
really inderstanding it - start to compare it with StarTeam or Perforce, or
something alike on your web site.

Would you like some support/investment? Set up a way to "donate to the
project", as many OS project do. Or switch to another model, nobody will
blame you. Some user will buy, some will migrate to other tools.

> This is what we are doing: we have added advertising to deliberately
> target those people who download the installer

You're using Apache/PHP/Debian on your cvsnt.com server. Would you like if
it printed "Page generated with a free version of Apache Web Server with a
free version of PHP on a free version of Debian operating system" on each
page it serves? Why don't you pay for RedHat or SuSE to support Linux
development?

> Or switch off the message (read the FAQ)

None of the methods works yet <g>

> switch to EVS that doesn't have advertising in the commit message

As explained in a previous message, we don't have any SQL Server database
nor we plan to have one. And before introducing a wholly new tool I have to
test it extensively.

--
Luigi D. Sandon