[cvsnt] Not able to checkout code from repository

Gaurav Chhabra messagegc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 11:26:17 GMT 2008

Hi Glen,

We still don't have this script under source control. Actually we are
calling the main file called 'build.xml' using this file. The file
'build.xml' is actually under source control but now we have decided to have
this file under source control too.

About the file .cvspass, yes I can see that in the specified directory.

1. Content of .cvspass file on remote machine through which I was accessing
CVS server:
:pserver:gchhabra at XX.XX.XX.XX:/myrepo Ax+ccyu y4
:pserver:gchhabra at XX.XX.XX.XX:/code/TC AIyb y<+4Kw
:pserver:gchhabra at XX.XX.XX.XX:/code/TC login AIyb y<+4Kw  --> I think this
is the one that must have been created after I used Arthur's suggestion.

The first two entries must have been created when I would have used 'cvs
login' on command prompt.

The above content shows that there were still two entries present (for the
same user) before I used 'cvs login' explicitly in xml code (based on
Arthur's suggestion). So the build should have worked anyways.

2. Content of .cvspass file on the same machine on which CVS server is
installed:
:pserver:gchhabra at XX.XX.XX.XX:/code/main AIyb y<+4Kw
:pserver:gchhabra at XX.XX.XX.XX:/code/TC AIyb y<+4Kw

Also, from the above contents taken from different machines, what I can
conclude is that password was once changed for user 'gchhabra' (1st line of
remote .cvspass file). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

*Query*: I have a build area (checked out code) on the same machine on which
the CVS repository is present, and I do not have to perform even a 'cvs
login' command to run the build. I simply use the following syntax in my XML
file and it works fine. It doen not require user name:
<cvs cvsroot="E:\CVS_Repository\" package="TC_Repository_Code" />
Why is it so? Is the .cvspass file sufficient enough to make it possible
(user name as well as password authentication)?

But when I perform a build on a build area (present on a different machine),
in that case I think that syntax for CVSROOT requires
:pserver:username at cvs_server_machine:/repository_name.

Regards,
Gaurav