[cvsnt] BUG: Update with non-existing tag deletes sandbox files

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Nov 21 00:33:30 GMT 2008

Luigi,

> >Anyone know what CVS 1.11.22 does?
> > We shouldn't behave any differently to the existing CVS spec, and I do
>
> If I developed a spreadsheet, I wouldn't care about Multiplan
> or Lotus 1-2-3  behaviour. I'd look at what Excel does.

But you haven't and neither have we.  We took the existing CVS source code and enhanced it whilst preserving backwards compatibility.  This is a cornerstone to Tony's and my way of thinking, as contrasted with the OpenCVS project or the SVN project both of which state clearly that the aim was not to improve the functions or workflow of CVS but just to code the original CVS functions differently/better.  Those projects are a success by their own criteria - but while they have re-written CVS we've enhanced the original CVS and are ahead by years in terms of technical features as well as adherence to SCCM best practice.

Research quoted in the FT (that I've footnoted before) indicates that quantative research (ie: actual numbers) show businesses regularly incur huge costs and no corresponding benefits by replacing one piece of 'legacy' software with 'new' software and losing all the training and efficiency from the original whilst gaining no (or few) efficiencies from the new.

These are not a mistakes that I am interesting in perpetuating.

With EVS we have taken the same approach.  It works with CVS clients like CVS does, and it works with SVN clients like SVN does.  Yes CVSNT and EVS have 'extensions' to allow PVCS users to work like PVCS users and Dimensions users to work like Dimensions users (albeit with syntactical changes since those tools don't publish their source code).

Software developers do not have to ruin existing workflows to introduce new workflows - it can be just a new option.  If you want that option enforced across the enterprise then (in CVSNT) you just define it in the server CVSROOT/cvsrc

And since EVSAPI and CVSNT are Free Software you have the freedom to introduce these new workflows by contributing to the the project.

Regards,

Arthur