[cvsnt] Maximum file size

Chuck Kirschman Chuck.Kirschman at Nosp_am.bentley.com
Tue Nov 25 18:22:02 GMT 2008

Arthur Barrett wrote:
> Chuck/John,
>
>>> Is there a maximum file size for a repository - as a 12.5
>>  Each time
>> you commit a binary, it stores the entire thing as a full
>> blob on  the
>> server (unless you use -kB).
>
> This is untrue.
>
> CVSNT will always store each change as a diff.
>
> The current CVSNT 2.5.04 server has two diff types available:
> * one 'optimised' for text files
> * one 'optimised' for binary files (-kB)
>
> Storing each change as a complete 'blob' on the server is not a feature
> currently supproted by CVSNT.
>
> Regards,
>

> Arthur Barrett

This only applies to 2.5.4, correct?  I didn't realize you had
deprecated -kb.  Certainly there are a lot of legacy files stored on
servers that used the blob approach.  If John isn't running 2.5.4 yet,
or even if he is but the file dates back many revisions (especially if
they were committed with 2.5.3) then large files on the server could be
his problem.  And even with binary differencing (-kB), you will
eventually exceed the server's memory capability, at least with 2.5.3.
I haven't tried 2.5.4 yet.

chuck