[cvsnt] Unable to create sub-directories on a branch even with ACL set to all or read, write, create

Terry Beavers TBeavers at SkywaySoftware.com
Mon Nov 24 15:15:28 GMT 2008

I am trying to grant a user permissions to create a sub-directories
under on a branch using the following ACL and CVS is not allowing the
operation.  I had submitted something similar in regard to creating new
files on a branch back in early October, and have since resolved that
issue, but I am still unable to create/add new directories on a branch.

Here are the parameters I am using:

The user is terry
The sub-directory is testdir
The top-level directory is releng
The CVS module is skyway
The branch is SKYWAY_BRANCH

This is the CVS chacl command syntax I am using:

cvs chacl -R -r SKYWAY_BRANCH -u terry -a all skyway/

And this is the error I am getting when I try to create/add the testdir
sub-directory under /skyway/releng

cvs [server aborted]: User 'terry' cannot create /CVS/skyway/releng

I even tried using specific perms on the specific directory, but still
no luck:

cvs chacl -R -r SKYWAY_BRANCH -u terry -a read,write,create releng/

I have also tried using rchacl, but also without success.

Additional information:

We are running CVSNT 2.5.03 Build 2382 on Windows Server 2003
The client in WinCVS 2.0.3.1 (Build 1) running on Windows XP Pro
CVSROOT is :pserver:tbeavers at cvs01:/CVS
The ACLMode is set to compat (we grant all perms on this server, then
restrict as needed)

And here are a few lines from the trace log:

setting ACL for directory skyway/releng
16:32:38: S -> fileattr_create(directory)
16:32:38: S -> fileattr_read(D:/CVS/skyway/releng)
16:32:38: S -> fileattr_find(acl)
16:32:38: S -> fileattr_getvalue(@user)
16:32:38: S -> fileattr_getvalue(@branch)
16:32:38: S -> fileattr_getvalue(@merge)
16:32:38: S -> fileattr_batch_delete()
16:32:38: S -> Name_Repository((null),skyway/releng)
16:32:38: S -> map_repository(D:/CVS/skyway/releng)
16:32:38: S -> lookup_module2(skyway/releng,8047)
16:32:38: S -> Repository = D:/CVS/skyway/releng
16:32:38: S -> Mapped repository = D:/CVS/skyway/releng
16:32:38: S -> lookup_module2(skyway/releng,8048)

Any help in this matter would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for your support,

Terry