[cvsnt] CVSNT on Win2003

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Nov 27 19:30:17 GMT 2008

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 15:20:23 -0200, Gerhard <gelists at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:48:13 +0000, Peter Crowther
><Peter.Crowther at melandra.com> wrote:
>
>>You might want to read up on how CVS works.  As a warp-speed summary, there are two things you'll need to do before you can use 'cvs add' to add a file from a sandbox to a repository: you need a repository, and you need a sandbox!
>>
>>0) If you haven't yet created a repository, create it and make sure your CVSROOT is set appropriately on the client;
>>
>>1) You'll need to import one or more modules into the repository;
>
>I don't think import is necessary. At least I never had to use it,
>AFAIR.
>
>Each new repository has at least the CVSROOT module. It is accessible
>at least to repo admins. A repo admin can check it out, which creates
>a sandbox. From that sandbox, the repo admin can add other modules.

No, if you do that then you are hosed!
Never, ever even think of adding submodules and files to the CVSROOT
control module!!!!

What *can* be done, however, is to check out the top of the repository
to create the sandbox copy, which will include CVSROOT as a submodule.
The name of the top of the repository for checkout purposes is . (that
is a single period). Example from the command line:

cvs -d :sspi:cvsserver:/repo checkout .

(please make sure that the period at the end is included and replace
/repo with the correct repository name from the setup of the server.

You will need the -d parameter for a first checkout to specify the
CVSROOT connection string. When you later work inside the sandbox you
can omit the -d parameter.

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)