[cvsnt] Betr.: Re: Betr.: Re: sync-protocol questions

Jan Keirse jan.keirse at tvh.be
Fri Oct 3 11:15:54 BST 2008

 cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org schreef op 03/10/2008 06:55:57:

> Jan Keirse wrote:
>
> > The reason I got interested in replication is the availability of an
> > up-to-date backup at any time. If the primary server were to crash,
for
> > example due to a disk crash, the existence of a mirror repository
allows
> > to be up in a matter of seconds. Simply change the hostname of the
> > backup server and some CVSNT settings and the backup can replace the
> > original server.
>
> You don't really need to have a life (accessible) repository mirror for
> this, you can just mirror the repo data onto another server where you
also
> have CVSNT installed, same config, but nobody accesses this backup
server.
> This is much easier and can be done with any data mirroring tool.

Indeed that is what I found out. I expected the sync protocol to be a
matter
of installing both servers and setting the server and port numbers and all

the syncing would be handled by CVSNT, just like a data mirroring tool
would
do but without the requirement of extra software. It turns out the sync
protocol doesn't handle the actual syncing and you still have to setup a
mirroring tool yourself.

Kind Regards,

JAN KEIRSE
ICT-DEPARTMENT
Software quality & Systems: Software Engineer

**** DISCLAIMER ****
<A HREF="http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html">
http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html </A>

"This message is delivered to all addressees subject to the conditions
set forth in the attached disclaimer, which is an integral part of this
message."