[cvsnt] how to disable line ending translations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Oct 23 09:26:08 BST 2008

Arkadiusz,

> In my case you have no idea what line ending you may want
> before looking
> inside a file

This is unusual.  It sounds as though it is not you who creates these
files and whoever is creating them is either creating them with random
line endings which puts you in an impossible situation.  Please complain
to them since this is poor practice (even though you can work around it
- they should still use a line type consistently).

> I want fresh "cvs up file" to give me exactly the same
> contents of the file as
> it was when I did "cvs add file; cvs commit file".

In that case just add everything as binary - that is what 'binary' means
to CVS/CVSNT.

If the file you are committing is 'new' then just do this:
 cvs add -kb filename.ext
 cvs commit -m "this file will always be checked out identically to how
it was checked in" filename.ext

If the file was previously added as having 'default' line endings:
 cvs update -kb filename.ext
 <copy the 'new' filename.ext over the old one now>
 cvs ci -f -m "force disabling endings" filename.ext

Documentation:
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/Substitution-modes.html

Regards,

Arthur