[cvsnt] Locking the HEAD/Branch - Is there one good document??

Gromer osindgy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 02:35:55 BST 2008

> You wouldn't be asking how to lock the HEAD/Branch unless you have been
> using CVS for a while, but your responses show a lack of understanding
> as to how CVS actually works - so how do you usually use CVS - what
> tools do you use etc?  Telling us what you already know will probably
> help us get you started at the right point.
>
> Where is your server installed?  Where is your client?  Do  you know
> what your $CVSROOT is?

Hi Arthur,

Sorry for not being very clear, The CVS server has been installed on
the WindowsXP machine
and i have the tortoise SSH client version running on my PC.
I have been using the GUI to checkout and commit to the CVS from the client.
So im quite aware of how to checkout and commit to the branch/HEAD.
The problem now is i know only these basic stuffs of CVS &
have been given the task of setting up access permissions to the HEAD so that
any inadvertent committing of files does not happen on the HEAD.
When i tried to set access permissions from my client pc i got an
error message saying no permiss

cvs server: User 'gromer' cannot modify permissions for /Product_1/folder1
on tag/branch PRODUCT_!

So i tried on the CVS server... and being the first time to do this..
i have no idea whats happening.
I have never tried checking out files from the server..
it looks quire different.

Gromer.