[cvsnt] Using -r and -D together while applying a tag

Tony Eva teva at Airspan.com
Mon Sep 15 11:45:43 BST 2008

Luigi D. Sandon wrote:

>> cvs [rtag aborted]: -r and -D options are *mutually exclusive*

Which made me wonder: if I have a branch, and I want to update to the
version
that was on the branch at a specific date/time, how do I do it without
explicitly specifying a version number?

The manual states that the -j option has the handy date specifier, i.e.

 -jSymbolic_Tag:Date_Specifier

but that doesn't work with the -r option.  If I update to the branch
first,
then try to impose a date specification:

 cvs update -rSymbolic_Tag <file>
 cvs update -DDate_Specifier <file>

...then the -D option cancels the sticky tag from the -r and updates to
the relevant HEAD version instead.

I'm probably being thick here but I can't see how to get the equivalent
of
the hypothetical command

 cvs update -rSymbolic_Tag:Date_Specifier <file>

Anyone?  (This is CVSNT 2.5.03 2382 on Linux, BTW.)

--
Tony Eva