[cvsnt] Betr.: CVS -- what way can this happen ?

Jan Keirse jan.keirse at tvh.be
Thu Sep 25 08:04:15 BST 2008

 cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org schreef op 25/09/2008 07:43:29:

> Hi All,
>
> I saw one issue with CVS. Could any one suggest what could be the
> reasons ?
>
> One user (user A) did some modification to one of the file and committed
> to CVS.
>
> User B took the update and modified the same file and committed.
>
> But the change did by User A was not reflected in the latest file? (It
> did not shown any Conflict either)
>

> How can this happen?
>
> 1. If the user B replaced the content entirely (by moving to a temp file
> then did the modification and pasted back) and committed back to CVS.(it
> won't throw conflict)
>
> Apart from the #1 marked above, is there any way to get this error?

I think this is the most likely scenario for this to happen:
User A and B have the file open in their editor, the editor doesn't lock
the file (most editors don't.)
User A commits the file, user B updates the file, but doesn't reopen it in
his editor (many editors don't warn you when the file has changed on
disk).
He saves the file from his editor (which is still the old version without
the changes from user A, overwriting the updated file in his sandbox.
When he commits the changes from user A are gone (at least in the files in
the sandbox, they are still in the repository and can be retrieved from
the history.)

Possible sollutions:
- be very carefull
- compare your version to cvs before commit
- use an editor that warns you when the file has changed on disk (Vi
Improved and PsPad do, amongst others)
- close all files before updating the sandbox

Kind Regards,

JAN KEIRSE
ICT-DEPARTMENT
Software quality & Systems: Software Engineer

**** DISCLAIMER ****
<A HREF="http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html">
http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html </A>

"This message is delivered to all addressees subject to the conditions
set forth in the attached disclaimer, which is an integral part of this
message."