[cvsnt] Betr.: CVSNT to CVS

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Apr 8 02:52:12 BST 2009

Bryce,

I think Tony's answer has already covered this pretty comprehensively,
but I couldn't resist adding my own 2c.

> it has been choking on our large repository

No reason why it should - have you considered commercial support ;)

> For whatever reason, CVSNT never got the
> widespreadd acceptance in the software
> development community that other SCMs have.

Gartner and most other analysts generally agree that Rational (IBM)
ClearCase is the industry leading SCM system, and I note with interest
that it has no 'upgrade path' (outside of IBM).  Are you going to switch
to that?  Or how about Telelogic CM Synergy (Continuus) for years the
'runner up'?

The CVSNT repository is in an open and documented format and easily
meets any definition of 'open' for the purposes of migration.  The fact
that many cvs to xyz conversion programs ignore the RCS spec is not
my/our problem.

I do think that the EVS (CM Suite) repository being in a 'new' format is
a potential barrier to adoption - however since it's stored in a
corporate database and open I do not think it is a particularly high
barrier; if a prospect identifies it as a major hurdle then we'll
promise to deliver a 'cvs/rcs' export function in an agreed time frame
as a part of the contract of purchase.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett