[cvsnt] Betr.: CVSNT to CVS

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Apr 8 11:16:27 BST 2009

Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Tony Hoyle
>> Crucially EVS is *not* a new version control system.  It will be
>> whatever you want it to be.  It can be CVSNT, or SVN, or TFS or
>> (potentially) Git.  Or all of them at once, if you want.
>
> Tony, how are you dealing with the semantics and assumptions behind each of those systems?  Is there a superset of each system's functionality that allows you to provide 100% compatibility, or are there incompatible assumptions between two or more of them that mean you'll have to choose at some point or elect to have incomplete support for one or more?

It pretty much depends on what you're doing with it.  90% of work tends
to be some variation of checkout/update/commit, and that'll always work
or we wouldn't claim support in the first place.  The aim is to get as
much of the remaining as possible.. I haven't come across anything
fundamentally incompatible in any system so far - the constraints have
been all been time/budget based.

If you've got a mixture of clients then you might have to agree on how
to work together (eg. CVSNT treats the top level objects as branches and
tags.  The SVN module could (and probably should) split these into
subfolders called branches and tags, as is the common SVN convention,
but doesn't right now).  OTOH I'd assume there would be conventions in
place already.

Beyond that kind of stuff.. it *should* work the way you want it to -
and we'll try to make sure that it does for all our customers.  That
doesn't mean 100% compatibility necessarily - we implement the protocol,
and sometimes what comes back is a little different from a native server
- but if there turns out to be something you can't do that you should be
able to, that would be an issue we'd need to look at.