[cvsnt] Betr.: CVSNT to CVS

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Apr 13 23:12:16 BST 2009

Andreas,

> repo is also the expected 400MB in size. However, after a
> 'git repack -d'
> it shrinks to a mere 51 MB. Somehow git seems to be rather
> smart when it
> comes to compress binary content revisions.

As explained in the manual it's delta compression - ie: binary diff with
compression.  CVSNT has this as well (use -kBz).
Git:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-repack.html

Cvsnt:
http://cvsnt.org/manual/html/Substitution-modes.html

I've no idea how CVSNT's binary diff and compression compares with what
GIT uses, however one difference is that with CVSNT is that for maximum
disk-cost savings you need to decide what options you are using when you
add the file 'the first time' wheras the 'git repack' command allows you
to do this arbitrarily at a later point in time.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett