[cvsnt] CVSNT 2.5.04 build 3236 slow on Windows 2008 Server

Mika Sipila mika.sipila at prowellness.com
Fri Apr 24 12:14:10 BST 2009

Thought to post this since CVSNT 2.5.04 slowness on Windows Server 2008 has
been discussed on a few threads, but in our case name or reverse name
resolution works fine and there's no slowness because of DNS:

We installed CVSNT 2.5.04.3236 on 32bit Win Server 2008 + moved our previous
repository there; CVSNT performance was very slow with long initial wait
times when checking out source code, similar to other earlier reports on
this forum. We then followed the advice on other threads to try and diagnose
the issue:

a)      logged on to Win command prompt on the CVSNT server box as
Administrator and did a cvsservice -test

b)      logged on to Win command prompt on the CVSNT server box as
Administrator and did a cvslock -test

c)       logged on to Tortoise CVS client and checked out files to see
what's going on -> surprisingly, performance was instantaneous!

We then closed the two Win command prompts and re-started again CVSNT
services using the CVSNT server control plug-in on Windows control panel,
plus did this again a second time directly on Windows services. Everything
was again back to very slow CVSNT behavior.

We then changed the 'Log On As' account for the CVSNT services (in Windows
services) from 'Local system' (SYSTEM) to 'Administrator' and restarted the
CDVSNT services - voila! Performance was again instantaneous/very quick!

Would anyone have any idea why would changing the account from SYSTEM to
Administrator make such a dramatic difference? Could  the SYSTEM account on
Win Svr 2008 be missing required privileges use by CVSNT that Administrator
might have?

rgrds

Mika