[cvsnt] CVS Repository on Shared Network Drive?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Aug 27 21:14:35 BST 2009

RLA,

> I wonder if i can add a network drive as a repository in
> CVSNT 2.5.04 on a Windows 2003 Server.

Most of the time this question is asked it is because the person asking
does not understand how to share a repository among several users.

You CAN have many people use a single repository.  You can 'share' a
CVSNT Server repository.

Using a network drive is NOT the way.

Your CVSNT Server is a powerful enterprise database containing your
revision history/. The protocols (like NFS and Samba) that underpin the
'network drive' are unreliable and unsuitable for sustained
high-bandwidth read&write.  You cannot store an Oracle database on a
network drive and neither can you store a CVSNT Server Repository on
one.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett