[cvsnt] Latest Updates - CVSNT 2.5.05 Build 3649 (RC1)

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Dec 22 08:27:37 GMT 2009

CVSNT 2.5.05 (Gan) Build 3649 (RC1)

You can download this release from:
http://www.evscm.org/modules/Downloads/#testrel

I've rushed this out so that Torsten can include the latest release in
TortoiseCVS.

Fixed in this release (since 2.5.04):
--------------------------------------
5103+ server now runs in Unicode always
5406  Keywords regular expression matches file not path
5239	write through proxy 'hangs' on add/commit
5282	Audit 'Commands out of sync' error
5353	audit MSSQL fail on postcommit
5445	VerifyTrust very slow when DNS is broken?
5446	IPv6 handling
5464	E-mail plugin: Notify e-mail fails to send if no CVSROOT/users
5476	Ensure client protocol buffer flush is safe
5546	enh: 'cvs switch' verb for when a server/repo has moved
5554	Port 2.5.03 API changes to 2.5.05 (compiler fixes only)
5556	Installer should encourage participation
5558	cvs update: [update aborted]: writing to server socket
5599	backport cvs suite 2008 gserver fixes to 2.5.05
5612	2.5.04 wont compile if no zlib on system
5622	Audit MySQL 'Commands out of sync' error
5724  chinese: 'write to fileattr.xml error when commit a file'
5639	Send statistics for average/count for binary and text files
5644+ parallel rtags - one rtag may 'delete' tags created by the other
5747+ enh: sserver on windows native schannel
5748+ enh: sserver based on win32 crypt functions
5749+ enh: Idn support
5761+ merge in changes from 2.5.04.3510 to 2.5.05
5663+ advertising changes (see below)

Note +: these changes are new since the 2.5.05.3489 beta

** The advertising in this release has been changed:
**
** On windows a dialog will now display once per day
** this can be adjusted as low as once per week
**
** On Windows the advert will still be written into the
** commit history however it can be disabled using the previously
** documented registry key (now on client and server)
**
** If you build from source you don't get advertising

We've done major upgrades to the CVSNT source code - so it is now much
more 'modern' and therefore has a requirement for much more modern
operating systems and compilerrs.  Our builds are made on Mac OS 10.5,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and Windows 7 (using Visual Studio 2008).
Windows XP SP2 is the OLDEST operating system we will address community
bug reports for.

As always we do not provide comprehensive release notes for community
releases.  If you want to know everything that has changed between your
current release and this release - please look at the source code.  We
CAN and DO provide comprehensive release notes for our CVS Suite
customers - because the development process is managed differently.

Known bugs:
-----------------------

On windows the hyperlinks in the advertising message do not work

Latest documentation:
-----------------------
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual_testing_2.5

--------------
The first (and final?) RC of 2.5.05 was released today.  This resolves
all issues reported on support.cvsnt to date.

Several developers, some employed by March Hare Software, regularly add
features to the CVSNT_2_0_x branch of the source and March Hare Software
irregularly create builds for testing (usually at least Red Hat Linux
and Windows x32) which are checked with the test scripts in
cvsnt/testcvs.  A build is declared stable after that version has been
running on cvs.cvsnt.org for a period of time with no reports of errors
on the support.cvsnt newsgroup.

2009 is the 5 year anniversary of March Hare Software's sponsorship of
the project - taking the project from before 2.0.51 through 2.0.6x,
2.5.01, 2.5.02, 2.5.03 and the current stable 2.5.04 and now stable
2.5.05 releases.  In particular we have sponsored features including:
failsafe audit, user-defined changesets (including merge by changeset),
fine-grained access control (ACL) and distributed multi-site
repostiories (write through proxy).

The 2.5.05 releases are designed for community use, ie: the basis for
testing and development by the open source community.  In no way does
anyone guarentee or warrant that this software is suitable for any
commercial purpose.  If you require a commercial grade / quality tested
version control solution please purchase CVS Suite from the web site.
There are several commercial GUI's and Visual Studio add-ins which work
with CVSNT, however only sales of CVS Suite provide the funding for the
project.

Bug fixes and 'open source' support will only be provided for builds on
the CVSNT_2_0_x branch.  If you are maintaining a separate build (eg:
debian) then it is this branch only that you should apply patches to.

Release Plan:
2.5.05 will be the first release where unicode is the 'default'
installation mode on windows.  This has been activated on this the first
RC release.

If no issues are reported with this build I will endeavour to produce
the stable before end of December 2009.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett