[cvsnt] Re-using Previously Renamed Branch Tags

David Hauck davidh at netacquire.com
Mon Feb 2 21:54:10 GMT 2009

Hi there,

Before I start using alias tags (with 2.5.03) for the purposes of renaming branch tags (alias tags being what appear to be the preferred mechanism for this) I had a question I wanted to run by the list. In our use case we'd like to actually re-use the old (renamed) branch tag to reference a new branch.

My question: is this problematic for pre-existing sandboxes that reference this "old" branch tag, or will the subsequent (i.e., post-rename, post branch tag re-create) update simply update the sandbox with the new branch tag's location information? I would think this would be the case, but I wasn't sure about some of the explicit revision numbers that are present in the CVS/Entries file...

Thanks in advance for any help,
-David Hauck