[cvsnt] import command - and comments

Mike Kay mikekay at channelk.ca
Thu Mar 26 17:55:56 GMT 2009

To Bo and Paul - thank you so much for your replies to my posts. Newbies
can be a pain - I understand.

What I had to do with this CVS thing, is go backwards a few steps before
moving forward. RTFM.  Even though the documentation is not well suited to
Windoze users, it really helped me understand what CVS is, what it should
do, and the basics of how to use it. More importantly - what we need it
for and why we are going to use it.  I was operating under some
misunderstandings about how CVS funtions.  I am not totally there yet of
course, but working on it.

I now have a repository setup and initialized. I can connect because I'm
getting an error that says repository exists - but is empty - and of
course it is empty because I have not imported anything into it yet.

I am having trouble understanding the syntax of the import command.

I have a directory with all the code in various subdirectories that I
would like to CVS. Lets say this directory is c:\mystuff.

My repository is under c:/cvsrepos/test.

In a dos window I navigate to mystuff - then type the following:
import -m "import code first time" mystuff/test WW start

As I understand it - "import code first time" is simply a comment on the
import - then should come what you would like to import - everything under
mystuff, then putting it into /test with the final two arguments being the
company initials or the Vtag and start a kind of default Rtag.

I get the following error message:
No CVS Root specified! Please use the -d option.
CVS [import aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable

Any help appreciated.

Later today I'm going to go get the O'Reilly CVS book.

Thanks.