[cvsnt] Version 2.5.04 build 3236 slow on windows 2008

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue May 26 21:21:18 BST 2009

Joe,

> I've got a similar problem to the one reported on this list a
> month ago but
> I didn't see a solution to it.  I haven't had luck running
> the process as an
> Administrator instead of System like that person did.
> Basically every cvs
> command has about a 2:15 minute delay before there is a
> response.  I've got
> "Don't resolve client names" checked and there is no
> anti-virus running.
> This is on a brand new virtual server that we just configured.

Read this thread all the way through to the end.  It contains
instructions how to diagnose the problem and also the most common reason
for the cause (DNS problems with verifying the signature on the EXE and
DLLs):
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2008-October/031355.html

The gory technical detail is that the 2.5.04 DLLs are signed and on
startup the signature is verified (with Verisign) - if your DNS is
incorrectly configured thten this delays the loading of each of the the
protocol DLLs by 20-30 seconds.

At least one other person was not able to correctly configure their DNS
to get this to operate and we have committed a fix to 2.5.05 for people
thus affected and will be releasing a new test MSI soon.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett