[cvsnt] Version 2.5.04 build 3236 slow on windows 2008

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu May 28 22:16:30 BST 2009

Joe,

> Relating back to the other thread from last month
> where running the process as an Admin fixed the
> response time,  if they are also using a proxy, the
> settings are on a per user basis.  So the proxy may
> not have been configured for the Local System user
> but was configured for the Admin account.

Ahh - good explanation, makes sense to me.

> I just configured the proxy on a cvsadmin account
> and ran the service under this user.

I assume you mean you set 'cvsadmin' as 'run as user' in the CVSNT
control panel (not the services control panel)?

You should never ever run CVSNT as the user 'cvsadmin', this group name
is reserved on CVSNT (unix/linux) for administrators - running CVSNT as
cvsadmin will in effect mean that all users become administrators.  One
windows servers it *should* have no effect (because we use the
Administrators group there) but it's still best avoided:
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/admin.html
And
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/Administrators.html

For CVSNT users and groups are always interchangable (so a user named
cvsadmin is the same as a group named cvsadmin).

Regards,

Arthur Barrett