[cvsnt] How to add a file on mainline when parent directory is updated from a tag?

Macarascu Alexandru Cristian-AMACARA1 cristian.macarascu at freescale.com
Thu Oct 15 13:06:12 BST 2009

Hi!

I perform cvs update from a tag and then I would like to add a file
under CVSNT control. I'd like to have the file added on the mainline (as
my update was from a tag, not even a branch) and I do cvs add foo.c -r
HEAD and then commit.
1. if I do not specify -r option to commit, then what happens is that
the file is added not to the mainline, but to a branch that has the name
of my tag. What is the effect of -r on the add command, then?
2. if I try to specify -r HEAD option to commit, it returns:
commit: invalid option -- r
cvs commit: nothing known about `HEAD'
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

Am I doing something wrong?

Best regards,
Cristian.

The information contained in this email has been classified as:

(X) Freescale General Business Information
( ) Freescale Internal Use Only
( ) Freescale Confidential Proprietary
( ) Personal Memorandum

Paste this into your mail if you care about it: