[cvsnt] Problem with CVSNT and Windows Server 2008 64bit

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sun Feb 28 22:15:13 GMT 2010

Martin,

> Please bear in mind that my knowledge of Window Server 2008
> (or any windows server) is limited.

I personally think installing any business critical software on an
operating platform that you do not have significant confidence in
administering is not-a-good-idea.

> The error I get it "Connection Refused: Fatal error,
> aborting. DOMAIN/cvs: switch to user failed due to
> configuration error. Contact your system administrator"
> The user cvs has full administrator rights and the software
> was installed under this user.

You have made two advanced configuration changes, maybe 3:
1) installed the software using a non-standard user
2) modified the configuration so that the CVSNT Server runs as a
non-standard user
3) maybe you have altered the service to 'run as' a non standard user

The CVSNT server software will work if you do this:
1) install windows (and join or create a domain)
2) run windows update (as Administrator)
3) install CVSNT (as Domain Administrator)
4) create a repository

If you deviate from that then you are into advanced territory.  Now
those advanced options are there for people who need them and they do
work - but they are, err, advanced - and we (the developers) expect
people to know what they are doing and the limitations/problems that
result from using them.  We've written a whole book on those subjects
('All About CVS') and a whole other 'guided and QA tested' CVSNT ('CVS
Suite') for people who need them.

Again, my personal belief is that the BEST way to install ANY software
is without modifying any 'defaults' then slowly change one setting at a
time and re-test - then if I break it I know what I did to break it and
I undo it.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett