[cvsnt] Is it possible to completely lock down HEAD, but leave a BRANCH open for READ ONLY access?

Terry Beavers TBeavers at SkywaySoftware.com
Tue Jan 12 22:29:18 GMT 2010

Greetings,

I am trying to completely lock down HEAD, but leave a BRANCH open for
READ ONLY access using cvs chacl command, but it seems if I lock down
HEAD, then my BRANCH gets locked down as well, even if I create an acl
that is supposed to allow READ access on the BRANCH.

For example:

AclMode is set to normal in my CVSROOT config file
I ran cvs chacl -R -r HEAD -a noread,nowrite,nocreate,notag,nocontrol
cvs_test/
I ran cvs chacl -R -r TEST_BRANCH -a
read,nowrite,nocreate,notag,nocontrol cvs_test/

I then tried to checkout cvs_test from the TEST_BRANCH, but it returned
an error stating I cannot read cvs_test

If I allow read access on HEAD, then of course I can checkout cvs_test
from either HEAD or the TEST_BRANCH, but that defeats the purpose of
trying to completely lock down HEAD.

Please advise.

I am running CVSNT 2.5.03 Build 2382 on Windows Server 2003 with SP2

Thanks for your support,

Terry