[cvsnt] Is it possible to completely lock down HEAD, but leave a BRANCH open for READ ONLY access?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Jan 13 20:30:26 GMT 2010

Terry,

> I am trying to completely lock down HEAD, but leave a BRANCH open for
> READ ONLY access using cvs chacl command, but it seems if I lock down
> HEAD, then my BRANCH gets locked down as well, even if I create an acl
> that is supposed to allow READ access on the BRANCH.
>
> For example:
>
> AclMode is set to normal in my CVSROOT config file
> I ran cvs chacl -R -r HEAD -a noread,nowrite,nocreate,notag,nocontrol
> cvs_test/

This step is unnecessary and is the cause of the problem.
ACLMode=normal sets the behaviour to 'noone has access unless
specifically granted access'.

> I ran cvs chacl -R -r TEST_BRANCH -a
> read,nowrite,nocreate,notag,nocontrol cvs_test/

Again - you are overdoing it, you just want to grant read access.

> I then tried to checkout cvs_test from the TEST_BRANCH, but
> it returned
> an error stating I cannot read cvs_test

Yes all the deny rules are confusing the issue.

> I am running CVSNT 2.5.03 Build 2382 on Windows Server 2003 with SP2

This release is very old - 2.5.05 is currently in testing, I strongly
recommend the upgrade.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett