[cvsnt] CVS misconceptions

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Jan 29 11:50:51 GMT 2010

Flávio,

> I hardly use CVS these days, but I think you should try to rectify
> misconceptions about CVS (i.e. teach about CVSNT) also on some
> "reference sites", like:
> http://versioncontrolblog.com/comparison/Bazaar/CVS/Git/Mercurial/Subversion/index.html

That site has just taken the information from this one:
http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html

Are you volunteering to contribute an updated comparison?
http://better-scm.berlios.de/contribute/

Whilst March Hare Software do have a marketing budget and dispelling Myths about CVS/CVSNT does come under that budget there are limitations to what we can do and how many forums/websites/blogs/wiki's we can update.

If a site touts itself as a comprehensive comparison and misses a tool which has 1.4 million downloads a year - then it's hardly comprehensive - more likely just another example of the web as being a repository of all half-truths and misinformation (ie: it reflects badly on that site - not necessarily badly on us).

People who have done documented quantatative and qualatative research into the effectiveness of SCCM like the CMI, Forrester and Gartner agree that a shopping list of features is not the way to choose an SCCM system.  For an SCCM implementation to be effective the business needs to 1. understand what business benefit they are looking for SCCM to provide (eg: SOX compliance, ability to distribute patches per customer like a competitor does, reduce fraud), 2. determine what SCCM methodology will support that and their company culture and 3. choose tools that assist in automating that methodology.  Lists like the one you reference just don't enter into it at any point - it's like picking a lorry/tractor-trailer based on the number of cylinders (wheras the type of load it needs to carry, the roads it needs to carry it on, the type of dock and the number of sq feet are what is useful).

I think updating sites such as the one you found is a GOOD IDEA - and if I had the time I'd update them all.

Given lack of time - educating the market on how to choose an SCCM system so it really provides a business benefit - not just another cost - is what March Hare Software's sales and marketing team focus on - but that doesn't stop anyone in the community helping the project by advocating on the CVSNT projects behalf.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett