[Cvsnt] How can you checkout or update only certain file types?

Joachim Achtzehnter joachima at netacquire.com
Sat Dec 15 00:32:33 GMT 2001

Bill Rust wrote:

> Is there a way to use the checkout or update command to only retrieve
> files from the repository that are of a certain type?  In my company,
> not all developers need to compile all the source code.  Usually, they
> only need to compile the interface definition (*.IDL) files to create
> type libraries which they can import into their own projects.
> Unfortunately, these files are scattered throughout the source code
> hierarchy, so it isn't as simple as retrieving a single directory.

By far the easiest way to do this would be to move all these files into
their own hierarchy. :-)

Another option is to create a module in the CVSROOT/modules file that
lists the individual files. The syntax for the modules file allows this,
e.g.

module_name [options] directory file ...

Just tried this and found that apparently file must be a basename, i.e.
cannot contain any directory components. If your files are spread over
many directories you may need to create a separate module for each
directory. You can then combine these again using an alias module. You
also may need to use the -d option to place the files into the desired
subdirectories in the workspace. Seems doable, but the first solution is
much cleaner.

Joachim

--
work:     joachima at netacquire.com   (http://www.netacquire.com)