[Cvsnt] Newbie, "No such repository" error on create repository

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Apr 2 00:24:41 BST 2002

Your IT people probably have not set up CVSNT correctly and at the
very least they have not given you the proper connection data.
Please check up with them how they set up CVSNT and compare to the
advice I have given here a few weeks ago. (I will send this to you in
a separate email shortly.)

But you also need some getting strated help and I can recommend these
URL:s:
http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

Regarding 'seeing' the repository:
Close that connection! You should not be able to connect directly to
the repository in any other way than through the cvs service.

Regarding 'multiple users':
The working file set should be on a local drive and private to one
single developer. However, at the same time many different developers
can have the same project checked out to their own local drives
without any problems. This is what CVS is all about, allowing many
concurrent users access to the repsoitory files in a controlled
manner. Shared network drives are a BAD-BAD-BAD idea and you should
not use it.

Regarding 'cvsroot':
The format of cvsroot in WinCvs1.2 is:
Example for pserver on machine canaris:
:pserver:user at canaris:/test
(Of course a valid repository must exist on the server by the name
/test in this case)

Regarding init:
You cannot create a remote repository with the cvs init command
through WinCvs! The command can only be used on the server itself in
created by the administrator and then users are connected as clients
and can store and retrieve modules (project files) in the repository.

Generally:
- Don't use backslashes in any cvs commands or input data if you can
avoid it!
- Don't use spaces inside paths and file names to be used with cvs
- Don't create and use any directory named CVS, cvs itself needs to
create such directories for administrative purposes and confusion will
ensue.

/Bo

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:36:41 +0000 (UTC), Luke.W.Friendshuh at seagate.com
wrote:

>I am trying to set up a new winCVS ver 1.2 setup.  Our IT group setup the
>cvsnt on a server and gave us access through a domain.  I can see
>the drive as a network drive, and can get winCVS to work with a local
>mounted directory, but I don't want to use it that way since we are going
>to set up multiple users.
>
>The mapped drive path is: "\\server_name\dir_name\testme".
>
>I admit that I don't really know what is supposed to go in the
>CVSRoot in the "general" tab of "init settings", but my best guess
>from the documentation was the following:
>     user_name at server_name:\dir_name\testme
>
>This is the error message I received:
>
>cvs -d :ntserver:user_name at server_name:\dir_name\testme init
>\dir_name\testme: no such repository
>I HATE YOU
>
>The "I HATE YOU" was in green text if that means anything.  (Is that coming
>from winCVS or some message
>that winCVS is parroting.  (I want to know who hates me)    : - )
>
>I have tried several versions of the above path with no luck.  I even tried
>it without the
>"user_name at server_name".   If I do that I get an "Instruction at 0x78003bf
>referenced memory at 0x0000."  error,
>and then winCVS terminates.
>
>Any help on this would be very appreciated.  I looked through 6 months of
>archives and didn't see anything
>on this topic.  (By the way a search mechanism through the list of
>questions would be very helpful)
>
>Thanks,
>

>Luke.

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)