[Cvsnt] CVSRootChanger for Windows

Peter Brown pbrown at cs.umass.edu
Wed Apr 3 16:34:25 BST 2002

we addressed this problem for MacCVS users by using BBEdit to do a
search/replace over multiple files (search for 'oldserver' in all files
called Root, replace with 'newserver')

i have also used this one-liner to fix my CVS/Root files (on win2000 using
cygwin/perl):

find . -name Root -exec perl -nle 's/oldserver/newserver/; print;' -i.bak {} ;

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Henrich Deppenmeier wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I noticed some people having the wish to change the cvs\root file contents
> of a existing folder structure. It's nothing big, but I made a small program
> for this purpose for our internal use.
>
> Feel free to download it at
> http://people.freenet.de/hdeppenmeier/CVSRootChangerExe.zip , the (Delphi)
> source can be found at
> http://people.freenet.de/hdeppenmeier/CVSRootChangerSrc.zip, and a
> screenshot can be found at
> http://people.freenet.de/hdeppenmeier/CVSRootChanger.jpg.
>
> The usual disclaimer (commit all your changes, backup your files, use at
> your own risk, etc.) applies.
>
> Just a word to all 'pure cvs' fans : Yes, I know that committing changes,
> deleting your module on the harddrive and checking it out again is the
> 'better' way to do it.
> But as we had to switch our servername, we would have to do that for a
> larger amount of projects on a larger number of computers.
>
> And another word about my favorite cvs frontend WinCVS : No, I could not get
> the macro for changing the root to work. That's perhaps due to the fact that
> I refuse to install complete tcl packages or python on every computer in our
> company. I'm still working with a tcl81.dll copied to every WinCVS
> installation folder and we will try to stick to WinCVS 1.4b4 as long as
> possible for that reason.
> (I really dislike the changes that happened between 1.4b4 and 1.4b6 because
> they render the existing tcl scripts useless for my configuration and try to
> force me to install a 10+ MB Python package on every computer).
>
> Have a nice day,
>
>     Henrich.

Peter Brown                 Senior Software Engineer
Dept. of Computer Science        140 Governors Drive
University of Massachusetts   Amherst, MA 01003-4610
Phone: (413) 577-2505            Fax: (413) 545-1249
pbrown at cs.umass.edu  http://www.cs.umass.edu/~pbrown