[cvsnt] cvs installation

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Aug 6 17:40:00 BST 2002

On Tue,  6 Aug 2002 11:51:00 -0400, "Janusz Racz"
<janusz.racz at mail.goecon.net> wrote:

>Hi Folk,
>I have problems with adding new users. I tried the following combinations:
>
>1) cvsroot was set to :ntserver:myserver_name:/TEST
>I typed: "cvs passwd -a newUser"
>after the prompt for the new password I typed it and confirmed.
>Then I got the message: cvs [server aborted] only administrators
>can add or change anothers password.
>
>2) then I set cvsroot to :pserver:myserver_name:/TEST and
>tried again to add a new user: "cvs passwd -a newUser". I received same message:
>cvs [server aborted] only administrators can add or change anothers password.
>
>What I missed? I feel I should login as cvs administartor and
>then to add a new user, however I tried all combinations
>(on ntserver and pserver) and always something was wrong.
> Can anybody help me?
>
>Janusz

First a few questions:
1) Which version of CVSNT are you using?
2) Are you logged in to the server PC when you try adding the user?
3) Is your login a member of the Administrators group on the server PC
4) Are you using domain authentication?

Normally the first users could be entered simply from the CVSNT
machine if you are logged in as an account in the Administrators group
and use the :ntserver: protocol.
Then you can also list the users who are to be given CVS admin rights
in a file CVSROOT/admin

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)