[cvsnt] remote checkout fails to complete

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Dec 5 15:09:03 GMT 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:37:08 -0500, "Paul St. John"
<pstjohn at visible-bytes.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've just recently installed cvsnt (build 62) on NT SP6.
>I'm using the pserver protocol (for initial testing and
>going to move to more secure protocol later).
>
>There are 2 clients, both using WinCvs 1.0.6.  One is
>on the same network as the server and the other is
>connecting over the internet (I've opened ports 2401
>and 2402 on my firewall).

Don't open port 2402.  LockServer isn't a secure protocol & should
only be accessed from inside the LAN.

>The problem is that the remote client will get part way
>through the checkout and then simply stop getting more
>files.  There is a cvs.exe process running on the server,
>that started when the remote user connected, but it is
>not consuming and CPU cycles.

Probably packet loss.  I've seen this kind of thing even on Unix (If
you've ever tried checking out code from gnu.org you'll probably see
it).  Try some network tests and check that the remote client is
connecting properly and can stream data from the server (try FTPing a
large file).