[cvsnt] [update aborted]: cannot rename file over and over

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Dec 6 23:28:48 GMT 2002

Torsten Martinsen wrote:

> No, I'm actually saying that apparently *any* antivirus solution which
> does on-access scannning of files randomly breaks creation of files.
> This apparently only happens on W2K, as I've never seen it on NT4.
>
> Note that I have personally only observed this behaviour with Norton,
> but my coworkers tell me they have seen the same symptoms with McAfee
> and Norman.

Since file creation is a fundamental part of how cvs works, then I'm going
to have to find a way to detect it at a minimum on the server side - I'd
hate to think of the possible repository corruption you could get if one of
the temporary files disappeared at the wrong moment (or worse, returned
completely the wrong data).

On the client side it's merely annoying... on the server it could cost
someone their entire source tree.