[Cvsnt] PSERVER solution

Jim jdrudnicki at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 23:54:47 GMT 2002

Here are some hints that may help others. After much digging, i traced my
problems with pserver:

First, McAfee firewall uses a dll (CSLSP.DLL) that crashes whenever a cvs
client tries to login.  A null pointer error occurs in the dll that blows
out the service.  Remove firewall, no more crash.

Second, the 1.11.1.2 stable release will never run pserver

in Service.cpp:DoCvsThread() is a line

strcpy(szTmp2,"cvs %ALLOWROOT% pserver");

which is a mask to build the command line to start a process to handle the
client.  This builds a commandline:

cvs -allow-root=h:/cvs pserver

on my machine.  But alas, cvs does not have a command "pserver", so the
process just quits and the client hangs.  To patch, replace pserver with
authserver in the source and rebuild.  All works.

So give up all hope with pserver and 1.11.1.2.  In the latest beta release
pserver does work.

Now if I could only get WinCVS to do pserver...  at least my jCVS works.

Jim