[Cvsnt] CVS admin group

Gavin Kinsey gavin.kinsey at accutest.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 17:26:23 BST 2002

Oliver Giesen wrote
>> Are you sure about this, I can not get it to work.  I have
>> SystemAuth=Yes
>> and created the admin file with my username on the first line
>> followed by a
>> blank line.  WinCVS still tells me "cvs [admin aborted]:
>> usage is restricted
>> to repository administrators".  I've tried various formats,
>> names, and even
>> restarted the server once in case the service only checked
>> for the file but
>> can't get it to work.
>>
>> This is the only option for me as our IT dept will not give me Admin
>> priviliges on the server.
>
> I just did some testing and discovered that the entries in the admin
> file seem to be case-sensitive. The user name has to be capitalized in
> the exact same way it is registered in the domain (given, you're using
> ntserver authentication; don't know about the others).
> In my case only "GiesenO" worked - "gieseno" did not.

I thought of that one and did check the case of my username :-).  The name I
entered does match my username case.  If other people have this working it's
probably just the version of the server I'm using.  I will update to the
latest release as soon as I can get access to the machine (which may take a
couple of weeks of convincing IT).

> BTW: You could also see the username string that CVS uses by doing an
> edit on a file and then calling the editors command on it. The
> reported username is the one you should put in your admin file. In
> fact you could use any command that logs your username to do a similar
> test, e.g. you could run a log on a file you have recently committed.

Thanks for that, wasn't sure if that was the name the server used for
checking admin priviliges or if the server used another name (possibly
including the domain) internally.

--
Gavin Kinsey
Accutest Ltd.