[Cvsnt] problem with encryption, SSH, and CVSNT

Charles Strauss cstrauss at draper.com
Mon Jun 3 21:12:35 BST 2002

Dear CVSNT listers:

    Here is my problem - I have to set up a CVSNT server to maintain a
repository for several users on a LAN.  These users all belong to the same
domain as the server machine.  However, this domain has lots of other users
as well, and I have been directed to keep all the transmissions of code to
and from the repository encrypted and, of course, keep all other members of
this domain (and all other users of the LAN) from being able to access any
of the repository code.

   CVSNT as the server and WinCVS using the SSPI protocol with encryption
works like a charm - except that any member of the domain seems to be able
to access the repository.  I have suggested that we should just form our
own domain, but none of my body of users agrees with that - they have all
kinds of stuff that is made available via their current domain and hate the
idea of having to log off and on just to get at the code in our repository.

   So -- what can I do?  Will running SSH on my server machine do the
trick?  I've tried it but with no success yet.  I need some combination of
the facilities of pserver (for demanding an explicit password for access to
the repository) and SSPI (for encryption of transmissions).  I'll be
grateful for any help you can give me.

/Charles M. Strauss