[Cvsnt] What to check?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Sun Jun 9 22:46:18 BST 2002

On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 22:26:38 +0100, Andrew wrote:

> Basic connectifity is there (telnet can connect to the port). Also he
> can login and run "cvs ls". When it comes to checkout it hangs having
> created some of the tree structure on the hard drive. It doesn't seem to
> like getting the files... TCP/IP compression doesn't help either. Could
> it be some problem with metafiles under CVS directories?

There's the old DOS bug that's still hanging around (files with names
such as CON, LPT, CDROM, etc. are treated a devices) so someone creating a
cdrom.txt file can theoretically hang a checkout.  This would be apparently
random, since the cdrom device could be called anything (I believe by
default it used to be called MSCD001 which rarely clashed with a file).
It used to be an endless source of fun when I was trying to upgrade Win95
machines to Win98 - the CDROM.SYS file would crash the install.

Other than that, the other things to check are disk space on both the
client and server (especially temporary directory space, which doesn't
always end up where you want it to), dodgy internet connection (check the
error count on the ethernet card & see if it's abnormally high), memory
shortage/error (unlikely in a modern machine but you never know), or hard
disk failure (run scandisk a few times).

I'm not sure what to suggest beyond that.  If you can compile a debug
version of cvs and work out exactly where it's hanging I might be able to
get a better clue.