[Cvsnt] PServer Login Problems (still unsolved)

Christian Gütter cguetter at pgpa.de
Wed Jun 12 16:29:35 BST 2002

Hi Bo,

thanks you very much for your answer.

I'll try to shed some lights on the points you were missing:

- CVSNT server: notebook (W2K SP2) moved between home and company LAN
- CVS client at home: WinXP PC (no domain), WinCvs 1.3b8
- CVS client at work: WinXP PC (on a domain), WinCvs 1.3b8
- The home client can log in but not the work client.

> The only difference I can see is the following:
> - Work client is probably on a domain but the home is not.

Yes, right.

> - The server laptop may be a domain PC, we don't know.
>   If it is then the server will be able to check the login
>   against the domain server when connected to the company LAN
>   (and fails) whereas it cannot do this when disconnected.

The server laptop is not member of a domain.

> But pserver does not use any other user info than what
> is typed into the login dialogue, so the logged on user
> (which is different at home and at work) should not matter.
> But the alias in the passwd does matter and depending on the
> setting of SystemAuth in CVSROOT/config you may see different
> behaviour when validating the aliased user (he might exist only
> on the local server PC).

I have set SystemAuth to "no" so that pserver checks the passwd
file. In addition to that, the same local user called "chgue"
exists both on the server and on the client.

> One thing to check:
> At work disconnect the client and server PC:s from the company LAN,
> instead make a mini-LAN with only these two PC:s and a hub.
> Then retry the connection from the client. In this case the server
> will not be able to contact the server and get authentication from
> it and so will fall back to the local user database.

This didn't help. Even in this mini-network, I got the same error
message.

I have just upgraded from CVSNT 57c to 57d, but still no difference.
I must say that this goes beyond my knowledge. I have tried different
solutions for days, but nothing works.
I had also tried to use the ntserver, but nobody could tell me what
the "cannot connect to named pipe" error means (see my posting some
days ago).

I would be very glad to get some more hints on my pserver problem -
perhaps some of you still have an idea what is going on.

TIA,
Christian

PS:
> Quiz: Which team whipped Argentina out of the World Cup today??
Hey Bo, that's not very nice of you. I always a summary of the games
in the evening - and that's not very interesting if you know the
results ;-)
But anyway, congratulations to Sweden.
Perhaps Sweden and Germany meet in the final?
:-)