[Cvsnt] Re: branching and tags

Terris terris at terris.com
Tue Jun 18 22:50:39 BST 2002

I create a new tag after every build.  A unique tag based on the time the build started.  When we get close to releasing we create a branch i.e. "Q5_0" but we continue to tag even in the branch.  When there is a branch, changes that go into the branch usually go into the trunk.  This either occurs manually (which is the usual way) or via CVS (which is rare).

Generally if somebody wants to get code they either use a branch tag or they don't specify a tag (i.e. get the trunk).  The build tags exist for emergencies only.

We use my build tools at http://devguy.com/pctk to build on the branch and also on the trunk.  It also does the tagging for us and a bunch of other stuff.

>>> Can you perform a get from a Tag and then turn around and create a new Tag based on the files you picked up off the Tag you originally used?

Yes, you can.  The "cvs tag" command only works on the revisions you have checked out of CVS.  This is a brilliant feature of CVS.  Therefore you can "checkout" using a tag, modify a file, check it in, and then create a new tag that contains the revisions in the previous tag plus the additional change.