[Cvsnt] XP Pro setup - "no such user"

Daniel C Goodwin daniel at anyways.com
Sat Jun 29 19:49:45 BST 2002

I'm trying to set up cvsnt on an XP Pro system, but I can't
get past the passwd command. Here's what I'm doing, having
followed the directions in "CVS Installation Tips" up to
this point:

  C:\>set cvsroot=:ntserver:xpbox:/test
  C:\>cvs passwd -a dan
  Adding user dan at xpbox
  New password: *******
  Verify password: *******
  cvs server: *WARNING* CVS user 'dan' will not be able to log in until
they are aliased to a valid system user.

  C:\>cvs passwd -a -r dan dan
  Adding user dan at xpbox
  New password: *******
  Verify password: *******
  cvs [server aborted]: User 'dan' is not a real user on the system.

  C:\>set cvsroot=:pserver:dan at xpbox:/test

  C:\>cvs login
  Logging in to :pserver:dan at xpbox:2401/test
  CVS password: *******
  Fatal error, aborting. cvs [login aborted]: dan: no such user

User 'dan' (that's me) is indeed a real user on this system,
with administrative privileges. Thanks for your help.