[Cvsnt] (maybe not so) newbie question

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu May 2 09:47:12 BST 2002

Suggested reading:

http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/
http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvs_admin_nt.htm#CVSWEBIIS
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2002-March/004046.html

I use various combinations of CVSNT and WinCvs versions in different
installations and all work very well. We use ntserver authentication
in all of these, basically because sspi was not available at the time
we installed everything. But I hear that sspi is really the protocol
to use instead of ntserver now.

HTH

/Bo

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:03:19 +0000 (UTC), "Ivancic, Nikolaj"
<nivancic at lumicyte.com> wrote:

>--
>Hello, all
>
>I did a relatively thorough job scanning the archives (I did not find
>any searching tools), and failed to find a definitive answer to
>something that should be on the first page of the most basic document.
>
>Here is the problem: given two machines on a LAN (SERVER and CLIENT),
>what are the steps necessary to establish the connection between the
>two. In order to avoid any conditional answers, I will restrict this
>situation further, stating that both machines run Windows 2000 (server
>and workstation editions) and that both use domain server for Windows
>authentication.
>
>So far I followed the instructions written in the document
>http://www.cvsnt.org/readme.nt and failed completely. Assuming that
>amongst you there will be a good soul to bail me out, I will indicate
>here what went wrong:
>
>1. On the SERVER machine, I did what the instruction tell me:
>
>1. Installation of the CVS server
>
>If you are using the precompiled version installation is simple - just
>click on the
>cvsnt_1.11.1.3.exe installation program.
>
>To setup the server use the cvsnt control panel to install the service,
>then add the
>locations of your repositories.
>

>    Note that the installation failed in that it required to me add the
>path Environment variable
>    to the CVS installation manually.
>
>2. On the CLIENT machine, I simply used the CVS.EXE from the above
>distribution
>
>If you are using an NT or Windows 2000 client, use is preferable to
>use the cvs.exe supplied, as this is full version which supports all
>features of the NT server.
>

>3. To verify authentication, I concluded that the best thing to do is to
>use the SSPI mode so:
>    a) On the SERVER machine, I set the repository path (C:\CVS_ROOT) as
>instructed by 1. above.
>    b) on the CLIENT machine, I set the Environment variable CVSROOT to
>
>        CVSROOT=:sspi:lumicyte\nivancic at SERVER:c:\CVS_ROOT\CVSROOT
>
>    c) any CVS command executed on the CLIENT, like:
>
>        c:\>cvs history
>        cvs [history aborted]: : Authentication failed
>
>Any suggestions? Use pserver? Use ntserver? Why if yes?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Nik
>

>--

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)