[Cvsnt] SSH zombie processes

Torsten Martinsen torsten at image.dk
Thu May 2 10:43:36 BST 2002

Whenever I use the :ext: protocol, set CVS_RSH=ssh, and perform some CVS operation, I get a 'zombie' SSH process. This happens regardless of which SSH I use, but does *not* happen if I use the 'standard' cvs.exe from cvshome.org. (Other users have also reported the same problem).

I have looked at the code in protocols/ext.c, and I believe the problem is that the child process is never terminated - the ext_disconnect() function does close the child's pipes, but I don't think that makes the child process terminate like it does under Unix.

-Torsten