[Cvsnt] problem creating repository on Win2000

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed May 15 20:20:36 BST 2002

The CVSNT service runs in account SYSTEM and on a W2000 machine system
has no access permissions on c:\winnt\temp or anywhere below
c:\Documents and Settings (where user temp dirs are stored).
Therefore the correct way to handle the CVSNT installation is to
create a special temp dir like c:\cvstemp or similar and use that as
the temp dir for CVSNT. This can be set in the control panel applet on
the server.
And this has nothing to do with the slashes, what you did was simply
to log in and execute the commands in your account, which has
permissions on the temp dir. And of course then it works like
expected...

/Bo

On Wed, 15 May 2002 19:06:13 +0000 (UTC), Suhail Warsi
<suhail_warsi at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm am trying to create import a new repository.
>
>I type the command
>
>cvs import -m "starting new repository" repository
>vendor_tag release_tag
>

>using the appropriate substitutions.
>
>When the command executes, it fails with the error
>message
>
>can't create temporary directory
>C:\WINNT\TEMP/cvs-serv1108
>Permission denied
>

>When I manually try to create the directory replacing
>the "/" with a "\", it creates the directory -
>apparently Windows2000 is confused by the slashes -
>does anyone have any info about how to work around
>this?
>
>Thanks

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)