[Cvsnt] Can anyone see what's wrong here

Ivancic, Nikolaj nivancic at lumicyte.com
Fri May 24 03:16:33 BST 2002

Hello

After reading all possible sources of information, discussing over this
newsgroups with very helpfull people (Bo comes to mind immediatelly :-),
I am still dead in the water, being very close to that other coast.
Maybe someone can push me just a bit.

Setup:
I am running the CVSNT server on a server machine running Win2K, and the
whole LAN is using the Windows Domain Server for the authentication.
CVSNT is  installed and to the best of my knowledge "talks" to my client
machine, using the "sspi" protocol, in the command line mode:

c:\>cvs --version

Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Build 57a) (client/server)

Copyright (c) 1989-2001 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                        Jeff Polk, and other authors
CVSNT version (Mar 13 2002) Copyright (c) 1999-2001 Tony Hoyle and
others
see  <http://www.cvsnt.org> http://www.cvsnt.org

CVS may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public
License,
a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution kit.

Specify the --help option for further information about CVS

I tried all kinds of things and all seems to be working, starting from
the authentication:

c:\>cvs login
Logging in to :sspi:LumiCyte\nivancic at luminet:2401c:\CVS
CVS password: *****

c:\>

Note that I do not have any password files on the server, and did not
enable the authentication flag in the config file on the server
(assuming that the comment there is correct, and this is only used in
the pserver protocol context)

# Set this to "no" if pserver shouldn't check system users/passwords

#SystemAuth=no

(as a side comment, this piece needs addition explanation, since the
line is always commented out initially, and there is no definition of
the default value).

Problem:
I cannot get the WinCVS to participate. I installed the latest Beta of
the version 1.3.8.1(Beta 8) Build 1, set the various required data, and
tried to "import a module from the selection". Well, it failes with:

cvs -z9 import -I ! -I CVS -W "*.jar~ -k 'b'" -W "*.zip -k 'b'" -W
"*.jar -k 'b'" -W "*.dep2 -k 'b'" -W "*.scc -k 'b'" -W "*.gif -k 'b'" -W
"*.jpg -k 'b'" -W "*.class -k 'b'" -m "no message" LumiScape avendor
arelease (in directory C:\LumiSoft\LumiScape)

cvs [import aborted]: : Authentication failed

*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

Comment:
I noticed that in the command mode, I need to authenticate myself by
means of the "cvs login" command, which results with the prompt for the
password - and I am succesfully authenticated using my Windows Domain
password. WinCVS refuses to let me login, saying that it's needed only
for the pserver protocol.

Any advice, anyone?

Nik