[Cvsnt] CVSROOT Directory: In every Module Repository?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat May 25 02:10:43 BST 2002

1. No, the CVSROOT administrative directory exists ONLY at the top
level of the repository.

2. CVSWeb needs the LockDir option set in the CVSROOT/config file in
order to work. If you run CVSWeb then you must set this to a directory
outside the repository that is "full control" for everyone including
the web browser account. This is probably why CVSWeb barfs but has a
strange error message.
Don't pu CVSROOT dirs everywhere!!!!

/Bo

On Fri, 24 May 2002 15:54:48 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Mahn"
<RICHMAHN at sarmc.org> wrote:

>I submitted a question about this last week, but saw no response.
>
>When you first import a new module to the repository, should there be a dir=
>ectory called CVSROOT in EACH module's directory (e.g. c:\cvs\saweb\cvsroot=
>, c:\cvs\myprog\cvsroot), not just the root repository directory (c:\cvs\cv=
>sroot)?   This directory does NOT get created when I do a "cvs -import".  T=
>his doesn't seem to be needed for command line cvs to ci or co.  However, w=
>ith CVSWEB, if I try to get the contents of a file, it says that there is n=
>o CVSROOT directory for the module.  Should there?  Here is the error in th=
>e web browser:
>
>---------
>Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs [checkout aborted]: C:/cvs/saweb/=
>CVSROOT: No such file or directory
>Check whether the directory C:/cvs/saweb/CVSROOT exists and the script has =
>write-access to the CVSROOT/history file if it exists.
>The script needs to place lock files in the directory the file is in as wel=
>l.
>cvs -dC:/cvs/saweb co -p -r1.1 "common/adovbs.inc"
>---------
>
>There is an option in the CVSWEB config file to hide CVSROOT directories, s=
>o does that mean each module SHOULD have its own CVSROOT directory?  I don'=
>t get why, if that is the directory where the password file is for the enti=
>re repository, etc.  If I should have a CVSROOT directory, is there a way f=
>or me to have it automatically created, rather than copying c:\cvs\cvsroot =
>into every module manually (e.g. c:\cvs\saweb\cvsroot)?  I would think this=
> is not a good idea, but it seems to make CVSWEB happy.
>
>-Rich

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)