[Cvsnt] How to add newsserver to XP-Pro?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Thu May 30 17:42:39 BST 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002 13:38:51 +0000 (UTC), Bo Berglund
<Bo.Berglund at system3r.se> wrote:

>I have no idea, to me news looks like a web service like any other
>so I gathered that it was part of IIS....
>But you stated earlier that you got news working by switching your
>XP box to server temporarily, then installing news, then switching
>back (at least that's how I understood it).
>So do you remember how you did the 'installing news' part??
>Did you install Exchange?

It wasn't news I was using specifically, I just wanted the server
version of IIS, which has better SSL support.

Exchange requires NT Server so you'd have to use ntswitch for that.

I've also done it the other way so I can install apps that refuse to
install on the server version (mostly companies trying to extort
ridiculous amounts of extra money for an identical product).