[Cvsnt] Don't know how to proceed after installation and created repository

Bo Berglund bosse at agiusa.com
Wed May 29 22:20:24 BST 2002

You need to install the CVS client application also. That is WinCvs for
Windows use (there are other clients as well, but WinCvs is most popular).

Then you must understand the principle behind CVS in order to work
correctly.
1. The CVS server handles all storage of the version controlled files in a
   special format called RCS. The RCS files are stored in the CVS
repository.

2. The repositoy should NEVER be manipulated directly by any user. It is
handled
   by the CVS server only.

3. The files you work on are 'checked out' from the CVS server to a
workspace on
   your own PC (often called a sandbox).

4. When you have changed some files during your work you 'commit' your
changes
   back to the CVS server which adds the changes to the RCS files in the
repository.

5. You can always retrieve old file revisions that you have committed to CVS
at a
   later time, this is one of the important features of CVS.

6. You can also make a comparison between your working files in the sandbox
and
   any revision that exists in the repository. This way you see immediately
what
   changes were made.

7. You can also mark a special occation (like a release) in your project by
putting
   a 'tag' on the files. This marks all filies in the sandbox with the tag
on the
   current revision of all files.

8. Using the tag it is possible to later retrieve all files that were used
for this
   revision even after they have been long changed locally.

Procedures:
Adding modules to the repository
This is normally done using the 'cvs import' command. WinCvs wraps this
command into
a rather easy-to-use graphical interface.

Once a module has been imported into CVS you must check it out to a sandbox
before
you can work on it. It is not possible to use the files from which the
import was
done!

If you read the links I provided you will get more thorough description of
what it
is all about and how to use the CVS system.

/Bo