[Cvsnt] Renaming a tag - will this work?

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Wed May 29 20:28:16 BST 2002

We have been developing an application for a while on a branch with a
poorly chosen name we moved over from an old PVCS repository.  The
branch is called MM214 and it represented what was to become the 2.1.4
version of the app.  Now that we have released the 2.1.4 code and used
CVS for a long enough to be comfortable with it I would like to change
the branch name to fit better with CVS usage.  Basically, I'd like to do
something like:

cvs renametag MM214 MM  (rename the MM214 tag to the more general MM)
cvs tag -r MM MM214 (place the release tag for the 2.1.4 version over
the MM branch)

I've done some testing and I think this set of CVS commands will work
for the fictitious "cvs renametag" above while preserving branch points
and histories:

cvs admin -N MM:MM214
cvs tag -d MM214

I would then reapply the MM214 tag as a simple tag in keeping with what
I understand to be the common way CVS tags are used to mark releases
(MM214) along development branches (MM).

Are there any problems here that I am missing?  Is there another way to
do this?

Thanks,
Aric