[cvsnt] Re: performance

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Nov 1 12:22:40 GMT 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:48:01 -0800, "Ilya Haykinson"
<ilya at skematix.com> wrote:

>we recently transitioned from a Linux-based CVS server to CVSNT.
>
>The Linux box was a slow Pentium II with almost no RAM, and the Windows box
>is a good P-III with a much faster hard drive and much more RAM. Both are on
>the same network connection. Yet, with CVSNT we're getting much much worse
>performance doing checkouts, commits etc.
>
>We're using :sspi: more instead of :pserver: that we used with Linux -- but
>that should be just authentication...
>
>Are there known issues with CVSNT that would make it significantly slower
>than cvs on Linux on an inferior machine?

Unix is faster at running cvs, because of the way it does things.  On
a same spec machine I'd expect the Linux machine to be about 10-20%
faster (the cvsnt.org cvs server feels faster than the same repository
under NT, even though they're the same code & data).

However a well specced NT machine *should* be faster than a slow Linux
machine, by quite a large margin.

For optimal speed your repository must be on the same machine as the
server, and there should be good communication between the PDC and the
server machine (which speeds up initial authentication).

Make sure your reverse DNS is working.  If it isn't you'll get a delay
before anything happens.

Use a recent build (there were a couple of speedups around the 57g
time), and enable the LockServer, which is faster than the LockDir
options, and allows multiple simultaneous checkouts.