[cvsnt] Need help with sspi

Warren, Erik Erik.Warren at delta.com
Thu Nov 14 14:23:50 GMT 2002

I have CVSNT 1.11.1.3 (build 57i) installed on an NT 4.0 sp6 machine which
is on a LAN.
I setup the CVSNT by following the installation procedure provided by Bo
Berglund.
I installed WinCVS 1.3.8.1 Beta 8 (Build 1) on the other NT 4.0 sp 6
machines in our small development group as well as on the machine on which
CVSNT is running.  I know that it is not recommended that the same machine
be used both as server and client but due to administrative circumstances we
are not able to get a dedicated server for this so one of the developer's
machines will have to be used as the server at least for the time being.
I initially set up all the clients to connect to the server using pserver
and this is working with no problems.  The main reason I used pserver was
because that is the example Bo used in his instructions.
Each user logs on to NT using the domain user id.  None of the machines has
any local users so I created a local cvsuser and cvsadmin id on the machine
with CVSNT which were used with impersonation.

Since all clients will be NT or XP and I hope to be able to connect from
home as well as the office via a VPN I thought it would be good to change to
sspi and use encryption.
I set SystemAuth=No so only the domain user ids in the passwd file would
have access to the repository.
I am able to connect to the server using sspi with my own domain\userid from
any of the client machines including the machine which is also the server.
None of the other users is able to connect using sspi.  When attempting to
connect we get the following results:

C:\>set CVSROOT=:sspi:DOMAIN\user at server:\test

C:\>cvs login
Logging in to :sspi:DOMAIN\user at server:2401\test
CVS password: ******
cvs [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from server: cvs [serve
r aborted]: Authentication failed

I am stumped over why this fails. Can anyone advise how to troubleshoot
this?

Regards,

Erik W. Warren
Sr. Engineer - Flt. Ops. Engineering